About a month ago I was working on an Installer for a North-Texas company when I did something I would normally never, ever do.... install/uninstall an untested prototype install on my dev box. The results were horrific... my entire network stack was trashed, all kinds of services weren't running and I actually got a message from Windows Vista saying something to the effect that a certain error that should never occur, occurred.
I looked at my package to see what could have happened and I noticed some TCP/IP settings had been picked up as part of a COM Extraction. I grabbed another laptop, transcribed the data and rebooted and all was well. Whew... bad setup developer!
I didn't think much more about this because at my day job we have almost no COM in our solution. The Server Installs ( Web Services and WebUI ) are pure .NET and the client only has some third party controls that we interop with. But all of those COM servers were authored in InstallShield 12 with the Right-Click Extract COM pattern. They never had a chance to be butchered by IS2008.
Then I came across a KB article today that described the exact situation that made me lose a few heartbeats.
I'll let you read the article, but basically it described a situation where the COM Extraction didn't filter well enough and that there is Hotfix available. I'd pick this one up for sure....